OnePlus has begun rolling out Android Pie beta builds to the 5 and 5T in China, with a worldwide download option likely coming imminently.
We recently heard that Android Pie updates were delayed for OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 3/3T devices. But this fresh news will be welcomed by all that were worried about further Android Pie update delays. That means we could actually see all OnePlus devices with Pie by the end of the year after all.
The size of this update is over 2GB and contains Hydrogen OS 9.0. This might not mean much to most, but Hydrogen OS is only available on OnePlus devices in China. It only differs by lacking the core Google apps and shouldn’t require too much fine tuning to port to Oxygen OS.
The changelog does mention that full-screen gestures are only available on the OnePlus 5T. If you own the OnePlus 5, then you will have to stick with capacitive touch controls.
- Update to Android P version
- New One Plus UI design, more details waiting for you to discover.
- New background control solution for a lighter and smoother experience
- New full-screen gestures (5T only) Android P shutdown interface icon Replace, and support advanced restart communication
- SMS verification code to open the display, check the verification code faster step
- Optimize the strange number identification function
- Add the dual card mode to set the default card for a single contact or group
- Optimize the call interface UI design applications
- Optimize the experience of weather applications
Whilst this update is currently limited to China, this beta does give us hope that we will see Oxygen OS updating to Android 9.0 Pie on OnePlus 5 and 5T devices really soon.
There is no evidence that this Android Pie beta is available on Chinese OnePlus 3 and 3T devices as yet.